After the acquisition of Skype by Microsoft, Skype has been displaying a message at login screen to merge your Skype account with either to Microsoft or Facebook Account. There are still many people out there who has not merged their Skype account with Microsoft account(i.e. hotmail.com, live.com, outlook.com account) yet. This is not a big deal until you get your Windows 8 machine and wants to use Skype. Skype in Windows 8 doesn't allow you to login using Skype ID. You have to have your Skype account linked to your Microsoft account in order to signin and use Skye service in Windows 8. So, how do you do that? Lets follow steps below and you will be set -
1. Download the latest Skype Version or update it to latest version if you already have one installed in your computer.
2. Open the Skype and at the right side of its Window - you will see a link "Alternatively, Sign in with - Microsot Account or Facebook". Microsoft Account means Hotmail.com, or Outlook.com accounts.
3. Next, Click on the "Microsoft Account" and sign in with your existing hotmail.com or outlook.com account. If you don't have one yet, click on the link "Sign me Now" and create a brand new account with either hotmail.com or outlook.com. You have to have one of these account in order to keep using Skype.
4. If your Microsoft Account is not linked to any Skype ID, it will present two options for you to choose from - "I have a Skype account" and "I'm new to Skype". Select your option as "I have a Skype account" as I suppose you already have a Skype account. If you don't, go ahead and sign for a new Skype account and then link it with your Microsoft Account.
5. Next, you will be asked to sign in to Skype using your Skype account name and Skype Password. Don't confuse yourself with Microsoft account. Lot of people seems to mess this up. Best practice in my opinion will be to set same password for Skype account and Microsoft account.
6. After successful Sign In to Skype account, Skype will display a message showing that - "One last step - merge your account" and " From now on, Please use your Microsoft account xxxxx(i.e. your Skype account) to sign into Skype".
7. That's it. You are all set now. Just follow the screen and you should be good.