Shortcuts are great time saver when it comes to perform tasks efficiently in computer. It can greatly enhance the productivity. Instead of using mouse all the time and navigating through the to menu bar, shortcuts gives you direct access to the essential functionality of the application by pressing some combination of keys. Here is a run-down list of some of the very important shortcuts for Microsoft Word application.
1. Most often used shortcut keys for MS Word:
COPY & PASTE
- Ctrl + C: It copies the selected text to the Clipboard and same can be pasted using CTRL + V to some other place in the same document or other file.
- Ctrl + V: It pastes the copied text from the Clipboard into the current position in the document.
- Ctrl + X: It cuts the selected text and keeps that text in the Clipboard which can be pasted using Ctrl+V command
- Ctrl + D: It displays the Font dialogue box where you can get font related format and options
- Ctrl + E: It aligns the selected text to Center
- Ctrl + L: It aligns the selected text to Left
- Ctrl + R: It aligns the selected text to Right
- Ctrl + J: Full Justification.
UNDO & REDO
- Ctrl + Z: If you have made any mistake and want to undo that before you want to save the document
- Ctrl + Y: It will Redo the last undone action
- Ctrl + F2: It shows Print preview
- Ctrl + P: It displays the Print dialog box where you can change the default selected printer or change various settings for currently selected printer.
- Ctrl + A: It will selects all in the current document
- Ctrl + B: It will bold the currently selects text
- Ctrl + I: It changes the selected text to Italic
- Ctrl + U: It Underlines the selected text
- Ctrl + ENTER: It inserts "Page Break"
- F7 Key: It will launch the Spell checker
- SHIFT + F7 Key: It will launch the Thesaurus
- SHIFT + F3 Key: It change the case of the selected text
- F4 Key: It performs the last action again
- F5 Key: It displays the Go to dialogue box, from here you can also Find and Replace
- SHIFT + F5 Key: It move to a previous revision means show you last changes you did to your document.
- F6 Key: It will take you to the next frame or pane
- SHIFT + F6 Key: It will take you to the previous frame or pane
- F8 Key: It extends the current selection
- SHIFT + F8 Key: It shrinks the current selection
- F10 Key: It activate the menu bar and then you can follow the displayed code to perform your intended task
- SHIFT + F10 Key: It displays a Shortcut Menu as as right clicking
- Ctrl + F: It displays the Find dialog box to search the current document.
- Ctrl + G: It displays the Go to dialog box to go to a specific location in the current document.
- Ctrl + H: It displays the Replace dialogue box.
- Ctrl + K: It creates Hyperlink.
- Ctrl + M: It advances the cursor to one Tab at a time.
- Ctrl + N: It Creates and opens a new word document.
- Ctrl + O: It displays the Open File dialogue box and you can select the file you want to open.
- Ctrl + S: It displays the "Save As" dialog box to save your file with new name
- F12 Key: It opens "Save As" dialog box where you type the new name for the file and save it
- SHIFT + F12 Key: It also open the "Save As" dialog box to save your file
- Ctrl + F4: It closes the active document window
- Ctrl + F6: It opens the next document window. If you have more than one document open at a time and wants to move from one document to another, then this is the shortcut you are looking for.
HELP FOR Microsoft Word
- F1 Key: Press F1 to get help or to use the Office assistant.
- SHIFT + F1 Key: It displays the context sensitive help to the right side of the document